Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Book Reading: Gang Leader for Day

     Gang Leader for a Day by Sudhir Venkatesh was a very interesting read, and definitely my favorite book in this class so far. Contrary to popular belief, I have never been in a gang, nor have I known anyone that has been, so this was very enlightening. The study might not have been a typical ethnography, but I feel that is what made it such a unique read.

     I think the ethical aspect of the whole study was the most intriguing portion. Sudhir was present for many illegal activities and even the planning of drive by murders. I do not know if I would have been able to watch all of those activities go down. I do think that he definitely got attached to the people in the community and so this was a big reason for letting his morals slide. I know that just from reading the book, I felt sorry for J.T. because his rise was ending and the gang was falling apart. If I, from just reading the story, feel bad that there are no more crack users to help supplement J.T., I can only imagine how attached Sudhir got during his many years there. I think this study was a great one, but it definitely broke the rules of typical ethnographers.

    Another aspect of the book that I found interesting was the way the community as a whole functioned. It was practically its own little city with its own government and hierarchy. There were jobs and taxes and even a punishment system that was separate from the rest of Chicago. Everyone in the community depended on one another, whether it be protection or services or food, in order to get by. They seemed to even have their own currency to go with cash, in that they just trade favors or threats to get what they want. It definitely is a fight to survive for all of the people, always just trying to get by, and doing what is necessary to get what you need. It seems like an endless cycle that can not be escaped.

No comments:

Post a Comment